Position Reports to:
Chief Financial Officer
Oversee the entire internal and external accounting function and overall day-to-day management of accounting and controls of this dynamic, high-growth company. Ensure the accounting department serves the accounting needs of strategic partners, investors, the overall company and the various operating groups within the organization. Also ensure that the monthly, quarterly and annual financial, regulatory and management reporting is completed on a timely basis and in accordance with GAAP. Position is located in offices in either Waltham, Massachusetts, or New York, NY.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including optimizing the departmental organizational structure and processes to achieve department’s goals and objectives.
- Manage the accounting team.
- Serve as primary contact for and manage external audit, valuation and tax service providers.
- Drive financial and administrative projects.
- Create detailed financial forecasts and analysis.
Implement and ensure adherence to accounting policies and procedures.
- Identify and execute opportunities to increase efficiencies and improve processes.
Perform SEC reporting, maintain internal controls for key reporting processes, and drive processes and controls towards SOX compliance.
- Assist in leading policy, procedure and process development and improvements.
- Oversee equity accounting and third-party equity administration.
- Manage financial information systems monitoring and controls.
- Develop, implement and evolve business processes (e.g., purchase to pay) to support organizational growth/complexity.
- Assess, implement/install and maintain accounting systems and business tools.
(Skills, Knowledge, Education and Work Experience)
- Experience with SEC reporting required; Big Four public accounting experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree and CPA required.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience; biotech industry experience required.
- Thorough technical accounting knowledge of issues, procedures and practices.
- Highly analytical with proven ability to identify and resolve problems with sound and accurate judgment.
- Initiative to take ownership of this key function; demonstrated hands-on execution skills.
- Able to relate and communicate effectively with executive management as well as all other functions in the organization.
- SEC financial reporting as well as clinical trials accounting experience required.
- Excellent written and oral skills; proven skills and success in managing accounting staff.
- Involvement with developmental stage companies, with particular exposure to clinical operations is preferred.